Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dinner Verse

So, my daughter has been going to church with her friend on Wednesday evenings because she enjoys playing with the kids in the gym. Apparently, she's also very into the lessons and verses...she brings home the verses and posts them on her bulletin board and memorizes them each week. Her motivation? I asked her and she said that she likes to be the one who memorizes the verse because she gets candy!
I am glad that Teah is feeling a sense of belonging with this group of kids her own age (it has been very hard to find other homeschoolers her age in DuBois) and that she is wanting to explore her spirituality at this point. I support her decision and make sure she is able to get to church as often as I can. Since going to church, she has been more interested in saying a prayer before meals. In the past we have all held hands and said our favorite thing that happened that day or something we are thankful for.
When Nolan was in preschool, they had a special prayer that they would say before snack time and for awhile, it became our at home verse...it went like this:

"Let's bow our heads and fold our paws and thank the lord for healthy jaws....amen!" A catchy little tune to be sure....much different from the waldorf verses we started out saying when Teah was just a wee one.

I was unpacking a box of collected paper musings...things I wrote down thinking i would use someday.... I came across that little waldorf dinner blessing and it caught my attention again. I think we'll implement it now while Nakai is still young. It really is important to take a moment out of our very busy day and reflect on what's important. here goes:

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."

that's it...simple and to the point. Everyone who's ever asked me what I want, knows that my standard answer is, "peace on earth." That really is so important to me. Important enough to bring attention to it at dinner and every opportunity throughout the day. That and "act in kindness." Both simple phrases, but simple phrases that hold big meaning.
Here are two other waldorf dinner blessings:

"Blessings on the blossoms,
Blessings on the fruit.
Blessings on the leaves and stems,
Blessings on the roots."


"Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the friends we meet.
Thank you as we learn and play,
Thanks you for this happy day."

What can you bring to your family's attention today?


No comments: